A School in a Box is all you need to provide academic support and extra lessons for up to 100 children, from Grade 1 to Matric, in English, maths, science and computer technology.
Once logged in, learners are able to select lessons for English, maths, science and computers from Grade 4-12, as well as a Foundational Literacy Programme for Grade 1-3 learners. Past papers and summary notes for the FET Phase for these and various additional subjects are also available on the tablets.
The preset lessons all feature interactive videos and quizzes, and often other apps and PDFs as well. We use some of the best educational content available anywhere (see below), by curating them into lessons arranged by theme.
The learning experience is simple and self-paced, and the entire programme is gamified, with learners earning “coins” for how long they are active, as well as how well they do in their end of lesson quizzes – these can all be incentivised by the facilitating organisation.
The hardware in the School in a Box is housed in a purpose-built, portable metal trunk:
- Server: A server running FreeBSD with 1TB of storage, configured to cache all educational content to reduce data usage.
- Router and Dongle: Mikrotik router able to connect up to 30 devices through wifi, with the capability of ethernet and 3G WAN connectivity.
- USB Multichargers: For up to 25 tablets.
- Tablets: Up to 25 Lenovo tablets: Quad core slim design tablets running Android Kit-Kat 4.4; 7 inch HD Capacitive 1024*600 screen; A33 Quad-Core CPU; ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.3Ghz; 1GB DDR3 memory; 802.11b/g/n wifi; Polymer 2800Mah battery; 8GB storage; cover included.
The tablets are all configured to operate our Social Project launcher, with the following characteristics:
- Login through Google mail (each learner with a unique @ilearningstudent.co.za address).
- Offline educational games including chess for internet downtime.
- Lessons that can be selected by grade and section, linked but not pegged to the CAPS syllabus, which include interactive videos and various apps, games and exercises (single login).
- Content for the following subjects (as at January 2017 – additional lessons are added monthly):
- English Grade 4-12
- Maths Grade 4-12
- Maths Literacy Grade 10
- Natural Science Grade 8-9
- Physical Science Grade 10-11
- Business Studies Grade 10-12
- A Foundational Literacy Programme for Grades 1-3
- Computer Technology, including coding lessons for Java, HTML, C++, SQL, Python and more
- Carefully selected online educational apps and life skills games and apps.
- Memrise’s unique isiXhosa-English and isiZulu-English language programmes.
Some Programmes and Apps used: